As I continue to research yoga and diet, I find that yogis continually discuss diet, our behavior, how we take care of our bodies and minds, and so much more than just doing yoga postures. The physical is only the beginning. We cannot go much deeper if we cannot control our body.
So what exactly are whole foods? And, what do they have to do with healing and yoga?
Whole food: food that is processed or refined as little as possible and is free from additives and other artificial substances. Google
Healing: the process of making or becoming sound or healthy again; therapeutic. Google
Yoga: to unite, body, breathe, and spirit.
Yoga promotes healing if done in a way that supports who and what we are and remember that there are 8 limbs to yoga-
- yamas (which I recently discussed-ethical standards),
- niyamas (self-discipline),
- asana (postures),
- pranayama (breathing practices),
- pratyahara (withdrawal of the senses),
- dharana (concentration-the beginning of meditation),
- dhyana (meditation) and
- samadhi (unending bliss).
Our body can eliminate many of the pollutants we take in, yet sometimes it needs help with this process. One of the things we can do to help with this process is to promote cleansing. We can do this through a variety of ways:
- sweating through exercise or heat
- eating until you are only 2/3 full
- eating all your food in an 8-hour period so the rest of the time the body can digest
- eating well balanced, whole, organic foods
- eating a clean, mono diet of a health-promoting and detoxing affect for a short period of time
- practicing particular asanas (yoga postures) such as halasana (plough) and malasana (squat)
- pranayama (breathing practices), breathing deeply and consciously, bringing in more prana (life force)
- kriyas (yogic cleansing practices) such as nauli, which should be taught by a trained instructor
- drinking plenty of fresh water
- promoting regular bowels
These are just some of the things you can begin to do on your own to promote regular cleansing.
You might also do an actual cleanse or detox or participate in a group cleanse. I will be offering an online, 27-day group cleanse. For more details check out my flyer.
Bottom line, if you want to have plenty of energy, sleep well, think clearly, maintain your body weight, and so many other possibilities, you can do a regular yoga practice and eat well.
If you have any questions or comments, please let me know.